28 November 2016

Arts & Crafts: White Elephant, 20% Cooler

As you may have figured out from the title, this post is about a gift that is twenty percent cooler. That's right, I said it.
My boyfriend and I are fans of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. He especially likes Rainbow Dash, so for a white elephant party that we attended in 2013, I decided to include her in the gift wrapping for the present that he was contributing. (On a side note, I myself am partial to Applejack.) Barring the inclusion of Rainbow Dash, it was a pretty simple wrap job overall. Here's the gift from one angle.
And then here's the full gift from another angle. I'm pleased that the glittery red snowflake topping the Christmas tree shows up well in this one.
But of course the main attraction here was really Rainbow Dash herself. Since she's such a dynamic and gung-ho character, I thought it'd be nice to show her napping in this winter setting.
Rainbow Dash is made mostly from tissue paper. In fact, I was glad to have a reason to use the different scraps of tissue paper that I've saved up from various projects. For her eyes, wings, and cutie mark, I cut out bits of paper (to use as solid bases for drawing) and covered them in the same light blue tissue paper that I used for the rest of her body. Then I drew the finer details on the tissue paper itself. Here she is from the other side.
I'd love to do some more My Little Pony inspired gift wrapping in the future. In fact, I already have various ideas and references saved up and ready to be more thoroughly explored. I'd actually like to revisit this version of Rainbow Dash too, since the first time I made her I was under more of a time crunch than usual. It'd be nice to be able to spend more time on this type of project, but all the same, I thought this white elephant gift was still worth posting since we're creeping closer and closer to Christmas.

No comments: