31 December 2012

Arts & Crafts: White Elephant Gift Wrapping 2012

I have some friends who throw an annual Christmas/White Elephant party. This year, I had the opportunity to wrap two gifts so I decided that having two boxes (meaning twelve sides) to work with presented a great chance for me to reinterpret "The Twelve Days of Christmas."

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, twelve drummers drumming...
 I'm a fan of taiko drumming so this one seemed pretty obvious to me.

Eleven pipers piping...
I'm also a fan of baking so clearly, I'm talking about a different kind of "piper" here. I doubt they're actually called that but let's think of cake decorating and go with it anyway.

Ten lords-a-leaping...
This is definitely not an original interpretation of "lords-a-leaping" but it's too good to pass up. There's really only one "Lord of the Dance" though, right?

Nine ladies dancing...
Can you tell what dance they're doing?

Eight maids-a-milking...
Okay, so I took great liberties with this one. There are no maids pictured at all. I was going to make them but then I thought it'd be more interesting to look up different animals that people actually milk and make them the stars of the show. The animals depicted from left to right are: a caribou, a sheep, a horse, a camel, a cow, a water buffalo, a yak, and a goat. I probably should have taken the time to do it but the animals are not done to scale.

Seven swans-a-swimming...
I like their little swim caps.

Six geese-a-laying...
Another interpretation I'm quite fond of. Come on, construction hats on geese?! And if you're still confused, please note the brick wall in the photograph.

Five golden rings...
There's only so much you can do with this one.

Four calling birds...
I went with "calling" instead of "colly" birds here because it was easier to work with. Behold, there are four different Twitter logos. Although I get that the mountain bird is streamlined and aesthetically pleasing, a part of me really misses "Larry the Bird."

Three French hens...
I actually modeled these hens after faverolles. They're quite pretty.

Two turtle doves...
I really, really wanted to make creatures that looked like a mash-up of a turtle and a dove. I enjoyed Avatar: The Last Airbender (the cartoon series) and loved their creatures, like the platypus-bear. I wasn't at all surprised to find that other people had also created these kinds of "turtle doves." Here's the reference for my little guys: http://www.helloagaingirls.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/2-turtle-doves.jpg.

And a partridge in a pear tree.
Oh man, making the Partridge Family bus was awesome! In my hunt for photographs of the original Partridge Family bus, I learned that the bus itself used to be located near the University of Southern California, in a restaurant's parking lot, and that it has since been totally demolished. There are, apparently, a lot of different replicas or reinterpretations of the bus around though. Personally, I'm a fan of Piet Mondrian so while I've never actually seen an episode of The Partridge Family, I'm tickled by their bus.

I'll also add here that while I've always known that pears come in a variety of colors, actually looking at them in this light gave me a whole new appreciation for them. They could make quite pretty Christmas ornaments.

Hooray for art projects! Seriously, I really love such endeavors. 0=)

No comments: